Mega-Lo-Mania (our review coming soon) is a documentary from Random AKA MegaRan which was debuted by Glasswork Media at FilmBar the award winning wine bar and movie theater in Phoenix, AZ where a snapshot of the heavily touring indie musician’s life and what it’s like to be MegaRan for a few crazy shows hitting Arizona, Cali, and Vegas with a few unexpected turns of events causing Ran to think on the fly in order to give the fans what they want as he’s done worldwide now with albums covering everything from MegaMan to Final Fantasy and also speaks on life experiences growing up in this modern society us gamers know about all too well.
The original documentary has been released physically and is available digitally still HERE but would be much more accessible to all of MegaRan’s many, many fans around the world who use Netflix, iTunes, Redbox, Amazon, and more. In addition to breaking down the cost of distributing to all of these platforms, Big Ran let’s us know there will be an added bonus to fans getting this Kickstarter achieved. The entire project will be reworked as the longer, second polish release Mega Lo Mania Director’s Cut. Take a look at the following excerpt from the Kickstarter below:
Mega Lo Mania Director’s Cut DVD
“We put in the man-hours to create the content and put it out, out of our own pockets, but when it came time to figure out distribution and promotion, we were quite frankly out of money. Additionally, most retailers and festivals require a film to be 60 minutes, and ours is currently at 40. This requires reshooting, repackaging and re-releasing the video, as Mega Lo Mania: The Director’s Cut.
This Director’s Cut will feature:
- more performance footage
- interviews with legendary and influential musicians about me and our work
- more history of chiptunes, VGM and hip-hop
- much more!
Here’s a breakdown of costs:
- Getting a movie on Netflix (HD)= $999
- Getting a movie on iTunes= $1500 + yearly fees
- Getting a movie into Redbox =$1395
- Getting a movie into Amazon= $150
- Getting your movie into just HALF of the hundreds of film festivals all over the world= over $1000 in submission fees
total= over $5000… to distribute a film…AFTER making it. Whoa.
So, here we are, back at Kickstarter to figure out how the heck to get the most out of the time and effort we’ve already put in. Tough stuff.”
There’s also a ton of great stuff for just pledging what you can towards this release!
- Copies of the Director’s Cut DVD as well as MegaRan’s 2015 Album “Wouldn’t Miss It For The World”
- Digi Packs of everything being released with Free Bonus Live MP3 for those cyber ballers out there.
- USB Drives and/or CDs full of MegaRan tracks (retail + unreleased)
- Signed 8 Bit Ties – Ran is literally selling the tie off his neck to make this happen! (3 available)
- Video w/ MegaRan!!! Yup, this one will cost a bit but totally worth it and more in value. (3 available)
- MegaRan’s Modded Famicom for playing your own chip tunes on stage!
- Musical or Video Collaborations – but please, check yourself before you wreck yourself.
- Much More, click the link below to see all pledge options and rewards listed by MegaRan:
Donate to MegaRan’s Mega-Lo-Mania: Director’s Cut DVD / Netflix Kickstarter HERE
Check out the Official Mega-Lo-Mania trailer below:
Update w/ Disclosure: I decided to back the Kickstarter for MegaRan’s Documentary to hit Netflix and other distributors. As according to our new RGN Public Ethics Policy, I will no longer be reporting on MegaRan’s work in an Evaluative Manner (i.e. Reviews) and will have another author Reviewing the work whereas I will be allowed to continue Informative Reporting (non-evaluative, i.e. News). If you have any feedback on this Ethics Policy, please comment on this article below or on our Policy itself and we’ll be sure to take your feedback into high regard. – Jon Ireson, Editor-In-Chief at RealGamerNewz.com