The internet is abuzz today with a new set of specs, release date information, and features rumored for the PlayStation 5. The supposed leak came in the form of a slideshow which is highly suspicious. Although it is likely that the slides circulating in the gaming community right now are fake, there are some points of interest which seem to be based on real leaks currently taking place.
The unfortunate blending of false and true information done by online broadcasters looking to capitalize on views makes it impossible for us to know what to believe for sure. It appears that either a hoax agent has created these slides which appear to combine predictions from fans, vague chatter among devs, evidence from AMD’s actions, and information allegedly leaked by high priced insider paid subscription websites.
[Update: This was confirmed in an announcement by Sony with a trailer for the PlayStation Plus titles of November 2018]
Another winter day, another leak. The official PlayStation Blog has perhaps accidentally revealed, ahead of schedule, the November PlayStation Plus games headlining on PS4 for November 2018. Some have questioned whether or not Sony should compensate SEGA and Gearbox for having the information leak out early, speculating that it could have affected sales.
There’s no evidence of such an issue at this time, however it’s important to note that Sony does plan out these PS Plus game giveaways months in advance with publishers and will be paying an amount that depends on the amount of downloads which occur during the PS Plus period for this game.
Nintendo Switch is rumored to be getting a “New Nintendo Switch” during the second half of 2019. Over the previous month there have been a number of rumors surrounding this device, with yesterday seeing a leak from The Wall Street Journal of Japan detail what sounds just like a hardware revision. Some fans are upset that Switch will be something like a smartphone which sees a new and improved version release every couple of years, which we reported yesterday.
However, insider sources have revealed that a completely different Nintendo Switch has been in development since before the original Switch released, and is designed to be a more powerful machine capable of getting ports of PlayStation 4’s top 2019 games as well as ports of PlayStation 5 games when the next-gen system releases from Sony in 2020. This is, of course, merely a rumor – but a ton of information has come alongside this one adding context and specs expected to be announced from Nintendo some time during January 2019 and released later that year.
Surprisingly, this story took an unexpected turn this week as sources for The Wall Street Journal of Japan came out with a release window for what is said to be the next model of Nintendo Switch consoles coming some time during the second half of 2019. In reality, this rumor is essentially three rumors in one. We have had a draft of this article since last Friday but waited on finishing it since there are more details needed and a general aura of confusion as outlets seem to confuse the various rumors, melding them into one.
On the one hand there are likely to be two revisions meant to silently replace the original Nintendo Switch hardware but look and perform identically. This is to reduce hacking of the system. One of those revisions has already been made and feature no new parts but instead a simple addition of code to microchips which were previously laying dormant in the Switch, perhaps waiting for this inevitable need to protect it against hardware exploits found within its main system chip.
However, the biggest and most exciting rumor is that of a “New Nintendo Switch” perhaps known to many in the underground as a Switch Pro said to house double the RAM as the original Switch, a 4K Graphics Rendering capability (while docked, 1080P in handheld mode), and increased CPU power thought to be enabling more third party titles to release for the Switch platform, albeit potentially exclusive to this new model.
And thus brings up the most confusing part of this rumor. Will Nintendo really split their ecosystem into two lineups of games? If so, how will fans react to it? So far mega fans like SwitchForce and their audience have been mostly against this possibility stating a feeling of “betrayal” if the rumors turn out to be true. Overall, much of the popular opinion is that this could just all be a little too soon, but did hackers force the hands of Nintendo?
Update: Following this leak, sources seemingly close to the project have revealed to press outlets that the name of the game is likely to be set as “Harry Potter: Magic Awakening” with runner ups including “Harry Potter: Magic Forever”, but this could be subject to change in the coming weeks / months.
Harry Potter doesn’t go looking for trouble, it usually finds him. A user on Reddit (credit) has came forward with a fact sheet, screenshots, and even gameplay footage of what appears to be a brand new open world Harry Potter action role playing game. The video has been since taken down with a copyright strike issued by Warner Bros. Entertainment Interactive, but half a million views had already been obtained before that so there’s probably a copy roaming around somewhere. The person doing the leak claims that there was no agreement signed for secrecy and that they were a part of focus group testing for the game.
Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night will make their way to the PlayStation 4 according to new ESRB ratings filed by Konami. According to the newly discovered description given by the ESRB ratings board the two games will be included together in a collection release planned for the PlayStation 4. It is unclear at this time if other consoles such as Nintendo Switch and Xbox will also receive the release, but it is likely.
Update: Square Enix has confirmed this rumor and launched FFXV Pocket Edition HD for PS4 and Xbox with a Nintendo Switch version coming as well. The title is also subject to a 40% off discount right now. Below is our unedited rumor of the post and the new trailer for the game.
Update: Simon Belmont was revealed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as part of the 8.8.2018 Nintendo Direct, you can see the Full WrapUp & Video HERE and below remains the unedited version of our rumor for this character reveal which we posted about 7 hours before the show began.
Sora Ltd., Bandai Namco Studios, and Nintendo will soon reveal much more about the upcoming Nintendo Switch exclusive game, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but the public relations and marketing team may have just leaked one of their biggest announcements early.
Final Fantasy VI Remake was announced way too early according to Tetsuya Nomura (FF7 Remake Director, Director of the Kingdom Hearts series, and holder of many design and director credits throughout the Final Fantasy series). Although the team has stopped making their own game engines and now use Unreal Engine 4, there is mounting evidence suggesting that the title will not be done anytime soon and could look completely different from what has been seen thus far by the time it launches. And this wouldn’t be the first time a Square Enix game’s development has been like this, as Final Fantasy already know all too well…
Nintendo Switch could have a brand new baby sister (or brother) soon, in the form of a brand new style of Nintendo Game Boy for classic titles and brand new indie games. This surprising turn of events is made possible by Nintendo’s announcement that they’ll be creating a 3DS successor.
Many had assumed that Nintendo Switch would be the only Nintendo hardware going forward, following its huge success after a big gamble was taken on developing it. It appears that Nintendo is confident enough to launch something else as well, and we might already have an idea what it would be like conceptually.
Yet another one of Bioware’s founding fathers has left the game development studio behind titles like EA’s Mass Effect and the upcoming Anthem. The studio once held a good reputation in the industry for its story-tellers and RPG design experts, but their image slowly slid until most gamers began to view their titles as mediocre at best. Scores came in lower each time a new game was released with Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3, and Mass Effect Andromeda standing out as some of their least enjoyed and lowest rated products.
This problematic scenario has caused many fans to believe that Anthem is something EA Games forced Bioware to create, seeing it as a ‘games-as-a-service’ product built for greedy cash-in functionality similar to other hollow titles EA has produced recently. This is based on evidence, not conspiracy, since Visceral Games was forced to create Battlefield: Hardline and their Dead Space IP was killed. Most fans also fear that if Anthem doesn’t turn out to be an extremely profitable project, EA Games will shut down the studio as they have with so many others before; most recently Visceral Games following the failure for Dead Space 3 to reach unrealistic goals set by EA.
Now, amid rumors that Anthem is seeing problems in development, the people who helped make Bioware what it is today are leaving. It’s understandable that those who remain a part of this company fear for their jobs and face unreasonable stress every day. After all, EA responded to Mass Effect Andromeda’s reception by immediately liquidating Bioware Montreal – an offshoot of the studio that was meant to expand its production capabilities and recruit new talent from the massive Montreal game development community.
It would seem the gaming world got a little too excited this morning when Microsoft vaguely hinted “all-new hardware” would be shown off at Gamescom 2018 only to later clarify that while this won’t be the reveal of Xbox Project Scarlet, the next-generation console expected to release in 2020 or 2021, instead they plan to announce a new Xbox One system bundle and new accessories (possibly including a rumored Elite Controller iteration that was alleged leaked recently).
This information was originally debuted in an article titled Xbox is coming to gamescom by Xbox media spokesperson Major Nelson, who himself started off as a self-made games journalist detailing news revolving around the original Xbox before eventually being hired on by Microsoft as a permanent figurehead to the brand. For those wondering, technically the event is meant to be spelled in all lowercase letters as per stylized renditions and logos, Major Nelson didn’t make an error it’s just the weird way the biggest gaming event in Germany likes to have their name typed out.
As for the leaked controller, nothing is certain yet but there are some details floating around the internet in the form of rumors as to what will be seen this August 21 – 25 when Gamescom commences.
The iconic hack and slash RPG from yester-year is getting a new installation. Whether it will be a Diablo IV sized title or something smaller, no one is quite sure of yet, but Blizzard has been spotted hiring a new Art Director as well as dungeon designers for something Diablo-related.
Update: Fallout Shelter was released for PS4 and Nintendo Switch during the Bethesda E3 2018 Press Conference! The original post below was a rumor from June 9, 2018 before that happened.
As part of a bundle of rumors for the PlayStation 4, Bethesda is said to be launching Fallout Shelter for this generation’s top selling game console during their E3 2018 Press Conference which takes place tomorrow at 6:30PM. Fallout Shelter was revealed and launched during E3 2015 and began its journey on iOS and Android smartphones. In 2016 the game hit the PC Gaming market. The year after it landed on Xbox ONE. It’s only natural that this year we could see the title available for PS4 as well, but the rumor doesn’t necessarily end there.
Tomorrow better include some new exclusive games from Microsoft if they don’t want to be crushed under Sony’s boot. A new rumor suggests that the only first party game left that Xbox owners expected to get this year has been delayed to 2019. Pre-orders have been cancelled. Unlike most rumors this leak actually has some pretty strong sources.