Nintendo has made an announcement that will likely cause a ripple effect of complaints from the highest mountains to the deepest rivers within the Nintendo loyalist community. It seems that Nintendo is shedding its feathers when it comes to some of their more well-known practices such as including chargers with their products (that’s so old school, get with the times) to providing fictional gold coins as a reward for buying their products and later giving out downloadable games / physical tier rewards for those coins.
Fans had recently began complaining about the lack of physical items in Nintendo Club’s recent offerings. For a long time, people who are die-hard fans of Nintendo have been influenced to buy as much of their products as they can before the Summer each year in order to rack up as many coins as possible in the Nintendo Club program. This was often redeemed for “few” of a kind exclusive gifts that almost nobody else in the world would have except you. This was also part of a wider program for fans which included exclusive downloadable games installed on their 3DS systems and ambassador programs as well to coincide with the launch of the 3DS.
Nintendo of America officially had this to say about the closing down of Nintendo Club:
- After more than six years of delivering fun Nintendo-themed rewards to its members, Club Nintendo is preparing to shut down.
- Club Nintendo members in the United States and Canada can earn additional Coins through the end of March, and can redeem those Coins through the end of June. Nintendo of America will be announcing a new customer loyalty program at a later date.
- “We thank all Club Nintendo members for their dedication to Nintendo games and their ongoing love for our systems and characters,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We want to make this time of transition as easy as possible for our loyal Club Nintendo members, so we are going to add dozens of new rewards and downloadable games to help members clear out their Coin balances.”
Excerpt from the Official Press Release:
- Nintendo will add a number of physical reward options for members in February. Members will also be able to choose from a lineup of many downloadable games. As a gift to Club Nintendo members, the Flipnote Studio 3D software will be available to download for free in February. This software will allow users to create unique three-dimensional animations and to exchange their creations via local wireless with others who also own Flipnote Studio 3D. Users who uploaded creations to Flipnote Hatena will be able to download their personal animations from the Nintendo DSi Library menu in Flipnote Studio 3D software. Flipnote Studio 3D will be available to Club Nintendo members until June 30. The ability to create a new Club Nintendo account will end on March 31. All users who register to Club Nintendo before registration closes will be eligible to receive Flipnote Studio 3D.
- For more information about Club Nintendo, visit https://club.nintendo.com. For more information on Flipnote Studio 3D, visit http://flipnotestudio3d.nintendo.com/.
Editor’s Note: RealGamerNewZ has moved web servers, some older posts can no longer be commented on and have been preserved without their images. Thank you for your understanding in this matter. This article was written by Jon Ireson on 20150120 and was last modified on 20150120 .