A little introduction as to who we are, where we’ve been, and where we’re going. Lately the RGN team has been regrouping behind-the-scenes and prepping for this year’s big E3 2018 event taking place in Los Angeles wherein Microsoft is expected to announce a ton of Xbox news to revitalize the brand while Sony’s PlayStation 4 Pro and PSVR platforms continue to grow and Nintendo keeps the flames lit with its new smash hit hybrid device the Nintendo Switch.
That being said, we are reaching a lot of new viewers who might not know what RGN is like and what types of content we’ve been creating since our inception.
- In 2010 a group of former games journalists sick of the censorship and relationship politics of coverage in video games news media created a floating podcast across now defunct platforms including Blip TV, Examiner, and multiple HipHopGamer websites which are now sadly unavailable.
- In 2011 we formed our own website for RealGamerNewZ and although we’ve enjoyed millions of pageviews across over eight thousand articles we are best known for being an outspoken and essentially underground gaming news, reviews, interviews, and opinions source.
Despite being often outspoken and delivering the unpopular opinions of the hardcore gamers who are often scared to speak their mind in today’s environment, we’ve also been endorsed and supported by sponsors such as Rockstar Games, SteelSeries, Microsoft, Devolver Digital, Bethesda Game Studios, Mastertronic, Activision Blizzard, Focus Home Interactive, Surprise Attack Games, Curve Digital, Ubisoft, Headup Games, Deep Silver, Paradox Interactive, Square Enix, Team 17, Koei Temo, Nkidu, Telltale Games, tinyBuild Games, NIS America, and a lot more!
So what’s next for RGN? We still work with great companies to this day, and we are planning to increase our ability to help shine light on lesser known indie games while offering Market Research on the deeper topics occurring industry-wide and of course providing our opinions alongside news coverage for AA games, AAA games, and everything in between.
Similar to how Ubisoft makes games, RGN is comprised of teams across different parts of the world.
- Mainly residing in the United States, our Editor-In-Chief and Founder Jon Ireson began the website in Boston, Massachusetts, USA with RGN’s Co-Founder and first Deputy Editor Tristan Werbe running a second team in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
- The role of Deputy Editor was later handed over to Jermain Jackson in Brooklyn, New York, USA with largely impactful roles being played by many other contributors and editors across the nation as well.
- Today the website is headed up by our Editor-In-Chief Jon with original Deputy Editor Tristan performing a new term in this position with many remaining and returning staff currently gearing up for E3 2018 after taking various breaks for personal life and exploring mutual avenues.
Our website hosting platform performed undesirable changes to the structure of their infastructure which prompted a series of events recently that led to RGN going down for the first time in our history. These changes were combated by our programming team who has been able to bring the website back to smooth operation alongside server upgrades, a new hosting platform, and enhanced SEO attributes.
The following video will explain the technical aspects of this experience more in-depth as well as the results of our efforts to preserve over 8,400 articles created by nearly 100 contributors across the past 8 years. We look forward to continuing to be a part of the greater gaming community and representing the hardcore, underground opinions of real gamers everywhere, Thank you!